We are committed to leading the industry in reducing the impact of our activities on the environment. In every aspect, our impact should be the absolute minimum. We recognise that our products and business operations have an influence on the environment and shall endeavour to take practical steps to minimise any negative impact.
To do this we will:
- Consider environmental impact at all stages of the business from design through to waste disposal.
- Identify, reduce and dispose of waste arising from our operations in a way that minimises harm to the environment and prevents pollution of land, air and water ensuring consideration is given to the waste hierarchy.
- Prevent environmental pollution and reduce existing pollution streams through the efficient use of resources, waste management and best industry practices.
- Minimise toxic emissions through the careful selection and use of machinery and the source of its power requirement.
- Actively promote recycling both internally and externally amongst clients, suppliers and visitors.
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of.
- Consider goods and services which can be manufactured, used and disposed of in an environmentally responsible way in accordance with section 9 of the Purchasing Policy (5029-A-Purchasing Policy).
- Encourage contractors and their sub-contractors to consider environmental impacts when making purchases.
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation.
- Ensure that everyone working for or on our behalf of us is aware that they have a responsibility to protect the environment.
- Provide training to staff and contractors to raise awareness of environmental aspects and issues.
We believe that the effective and consistent implementation of an environmental management system is essential to enable us to meet these commitments.
We, therefore, maintain an environmental management system that reflects our business requirements and we continually seek to improve the effectiveness of that system in order to reduce our impact on the environment.
CHDCL establishes and reviews environmental objectives that are SMART and that reflect the needs and goals of the business. Those objectives and our performance against them is measured and evaluated as often as is necessary and in any event no less frequently than annually.
It is our intent that our environmental management system, as an absolute minimum, satisfies the requirements of our clients, the ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems standard, and all legal and regulatory requirements.
Our environmental management system is defined in documented policies, processes and procedures that provide clear standards and guidelines for all appropriate areas of our activities.